Montreal Scooter is open every day including holidays from April 1st to October 31st.
Renting a scooter carries more risk than renting a car. The gas scooters we rent are 2 wheeled plated vehicles with a top speed of 70 km/h (43 mph) and enough power to slide the rear wheel in dusty, dirty, or wet conditions. 150, 200, and 250cc scooters are capable of speeds of 110 km/h (68 mph) to 120 km/h (75 mph). The accident rate of a two-wheeled vehicle is much higher than that of a car, and extra care must be taken to avoid any collisions or accidents. Even a minor fall where the rider is not injured but the side of the scooter scrapes the pavement can cause costly damage to the scooter. A minor fall on a Honda will typically cause damage of over $750. A minor fall on a Vespa LX 50, LX 150, GT 200L, or GTS 250 can easily cause damage over $1500 because it is a unibody design. If you are not comfortable with this level of risk, we suggest that you do not rent a scooter.
The highest rate of incidents occur when a group of 3 or more friends convinces one of their friends who has never ridden a scooter before to join them. The rookie feels pressure to "keep pace" with their friends, becomes overwhelmed, and makes a mistake leading to a slide or minor crash. The driver usually escapes unhurt or perhaps with a few minor scrapes, several hundred dollars poorer, and with a bruised ego. Worse, this driver will often never scoot again due to their bad first experience. This is a shame, because scooting is extremely easy to learn and safe when the proper precautions are taken.
Montreal Scooter suggests that if you have never ridden a scooter before, come alone, with another friend who has never scooted before, or with an experienced friend who is willing to be patient with you until you get up to speed. The incident rate of 2 friends who have never scooted before is almost nil because they can go at their own pace and usually become advanced scooterists by the end of their rental.
Requirements and Licensing
- All renters must be at least 18 years old. If you are aged 16-17, you can rent a scooter with an accompanying adult or by putting up a total loss deposit of $2500 for a Honda Metropolitan, $3500 for a Vespa LX 50, Vespa Primavera 50, Vespa LX 150, Vespa GT 200L, or Vespa GTS 250.
- For renters who are residents of Canada and the USA, a valid Automobile Driver's License (Quebec Class 5 or equivalent) is required. A Moped License (Quebec Class 6D or equivalent) is also acceptable. A full Motorcycle License (Quebec Class 6a or equivalent) is not required for 50cc scooters, but obviously more than sufficient. Renters with only a Learner's License are not permitted to rent a scooter. A full Motorcycle License (Quebec Class 6a or equivalent) is required for 150cc, 200cc, and 250cc scooters.
- For renters who are not residents of Canada or the USA, a valid International Driver's Permit and Passport is required.
- A credit card with a minimum of $750 - $2000 in available credit is required by all renters unless a member of your group is willing to accept liability for members of your group without the required available credit.
- A damage deposit of $750 is required per Honda Metropolitan scooter at the time of pick up on all Hourly Rates and Guided Scooter Rides. A damage deposit of $1000 is required for the 1 - 5 Day Rates, Evening - Overnight, Long-term Rates, and Commercial Rates. For Vespa LX 50, Primavera 50, LX 150, GT 200L, and GTS 250, the damage deposit is $1500 for Hourly Rates and Guided Scooter Rides, and $2000 for 1 - 5 Day Rates, Evening - Overnight, and Commercial Rates.
- Montreal Scooter, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to raise the damage deposit for renters deemed higher risk.
- Montreal Scooter accepts CASH, DEBIT, VISA, MASTERCARD, AMEX, DINER'S CLUB, JCB, and DISCOVER.
- If you have never ridden a two-wheeled bicycle before, you will not be permitted to rent a scooter from Montreal Scooter. The physics and balance required are similar, so people who are not capable of riding a bicycle unsupervised are an accident waiting to happen. Please note that a two-wheeled bicycle equipped with training wheels is not considered a two-wheeled bicycle by MS.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Assumption of Risk
Renter acknowledges that operating a Scooter is inherently dangerous, and may result in bodily injury, or even death. Renter assumes and accepts all risks associated with the use and operation of the Scooter.
2. Acceptable Use
• Renter agrees and acknowledges to be the sole operator of the Scooter.
• Renter agrees to use the Scooter in a careful, safe, and conscientious manner.
• Renter shall at all times observe and adhere to all traffic laws and regulations.
• Renter agrees to wear a DOT / ECE certified helmet while operating the Scooter.
• All traffic/parking violations are the responsibility of the Renter and must be reported to MS at the end of the Rental. Any undeclared violations will be charged to the credit card in the Renter’s Information. An admin fee of up to $100 may be added if MS determines that the non-declaration was intentional.
• All Scooters are to remain within the Greater Montreal Area unless authorized by MS. Long term rentals may be driven throughout Québec, but not Ontario, New Brunswick, or the USA.
3. Prohibited Activities
• No passengers are permitted on the Scooter, except where previously authorized by MS.
• Renter is strictly prohibited from being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while operating the Scooter.
• Operation of the Scooter on non-paved dirt roads is strictly prohibited due to harmful dust inhalation to the engine. If evidence of dirt road usage has been discovered, the security deposit will be held until a full inspection and repairs can be performed at the Renter’s expense.
• The Honda Metropolitan, Vespa LX 50, and Vespa Primavera 50 are limited speed vehicles with a maximum speed of approximately 70 km/h in optimum conditions. Thus, the Renter is prohibited from driving these models on limited access roads such as Highways and Freeways.
• The Vespa LX 150, Vespa GT 200L, and Vespa GTS 250 are permitted on limited access roads such as highways and freeways.
• The Renter is prohibited from driving or parking the Scooter on sidewalks, bike paths, and footpaths.
4. Unsafe Use
If at any time MS discovers that the Renter has engaged in an unsafe or hazardous use of the Scooter, MS may immediately terminate the rental. Upon notification of termination, Renter must return the Scooter to the designated return area immediately. If the rental is terminated for unsafe or hazardous use, the Renter will pay only for the time the scooter was away from MS, but the security deposit will be held until a full inspection and repairs can be performed at the Renter’s expense.
5. Breakdowns, Accidents, and Theft
• Renter must inform MS of any mechanical issues or breakdowns as soon as possible and discontinue operation of the Scooter until the issue can be rectified. MS, at its discretion, will send a replacement Scooter to the location of the broken down Scooter and the Renter's rental time will either be extended or refunded for the unused time.
• MS offers accident insurance for $10/day which limits the Renter's liability to $750 (Honda Metropolitan), $1500 (Vespa LX 50 and Primavera 50), $1500 (Vespa LX 150), $1500 (Vespa GT 200L), and $1500 (Vespa GTS 250). Residents of Québec with insured vehicles may transfer their auto insurance for the duration of the Rental. Renters who are not residents of Québec may be covered under the terms of their credit card agreement, but it is the responsibility of the Renter to verify with their credit card beforehand. Please note that rental car insurance benefits from most credit cards do not apply to the rental of scooters.
• Renter may be responsible for damage caused to 3rd parties while operating the Scooter.
• If Scooter parts are stolen, broken, lost, or if the Scooter itself is stolen, the Renter is responsible for the loss. It is the responsibility of the Renter to park the Scooter in a safe environment overnight. If a Scooter is stolen, it is the responsibility of the Renter to inform MS as soon as possible and submit a police report.
6. Condition of Scooter Upon Return
• All Scooters rented by MS are considered to be in perfect condition unless otherwise documented by MS and the Renter during the pre-departure inspection. The Renter is permitted to photograph any existing damage before departure.
• Renter shall return the Scooter to the designated return area in the same condition as it was in when given to Renter, excluding ordinary wear and tear, such as rock chips and minor scuffs caused by footwear.
• Renter is responsible for any damage caused to the Scooter during the rental period, including damage caused by other cars while the scooter is parked. It is the responsibility of the Renter to park the Scooter in a manner that eliminates, or at least greatly reduces, the possibility of contact with other vehicles.
• Upon return of the Scooter, an inspection will be performed to establish any damage caused during the rental period. If for any reason MS in unable to perform an immediate inspection of the Scooter, the inspection will be completed in a reasonable amount of time, usually within 24 hours. Scooters returned after sunset or when limited light is available, will be inspected the following day.
• If damage was caused to the Scooter during the rental period, the deposit will be held until the final amount to repair the Scooter can be determined. If the final amount is less than the deposit, then the difference shall be refunded to the Renter's credit card. If the damage exceeds the amount of the security deposit, the additional amount will be charged to the Renter’s credit card.
• If a Renter does not have sufficient credit on their credit card to cover the deposit, another member of the group may opt to cover for him/her with their own credit card, hence taking responsibility in the event of damage caused to the Scooter.
• If a Renter pays the deposit with cash or a debit card, then they must opt for the $10/day insurance to limit their liability to the deposit paid.
7. Late Return
If Renter returns the Scooter to the designated return area more than 9 minutes after the scheduled Return Time without advising MS, he/she shall be charged as follows:
- $5 10 - 15 min late $15 31 - 45 min late
- $10 . 16 - 30 min late $20 46 - 60 min late
After 1 hour, Renter shall be charged $10/h capped at the next daily rate.
Once the operation of the scooter has been demonstrated, if the renter does not feel comfortable riding the scooter, the renter may ask for a refund. A minimum $10 charge will apply - $5 to clean the helmet and $5 to cover the cost of the demonstration. Once the renter has left the designated departure/return area, a minimum 1 hour rental will be charged.
- If the weather turns bad during an hourly rental, you are entitled to a refund of the unused time if the scooter is brought back within 30 minutes from the time it begins to rain. See our rain policy for details.
- No weather compensation is offered on rentals lasting more than 1 Day because the rental is already discounted and takes into consideration possible fluctuations in the weather. However, the Renter may return the scooter at any time for a refund on the unused time.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are your hours, days, and months of operation?
We are open from 10h30 to 19h30 every day from April 1st to October 31st.
What are the restrictions on where I can ride my rental scooter?
The Honda Metropolitan and Vespa LX 50 are limited speed vehicles with a maximum speed of approximately 70km/h (43 mph) in optimal conditions, which means they are prohibited from traveling on limited access roads such as highways and freeways. They are also prohibited from being driven or parked on sidewalks, bike paths, and footpaths. They are also strictly prohibited from being driven off-road. That being said, it is possible to travel virtually anywhere in Quebec by scooter with careful planning of routes. It is usually a matter of taking the service roads that run alongside limited access roads, or taking a bridge with a lower speed limit.
Can I see and fill out the Rental Agreement ahead of time?
Yes! In fact, you may even download our rental agreement, print it out, fill out the applicable sections and bring in the completed form to minimize the time it takes to begin your MS experience!
What happens if I damage my rental scooter?
You can see a full list of charges for damaged or lost items here. Montreal Scooter has expended great effort in minimizing any potential charge due to damage by sourcing parts from the most economical sources and performing labor at an extremely reasonable $75/hr. Therefore, the charges for damages or lost items are non-negotiable. The best way to avoid these charges is to always be aware of your surroundings and taking extra precautions when in traffic.
If I am having such a wonderful time on my scooter, can I extend my rental time?
Of course! To upgrade, you must call a minimum of 30 minutes before your agreed upon return time.
Time Extensions are subject to availability and are not guaranteed. The only way to guarantee a scooter for any given period of time is to pay for the total time you think you will need it for at the beginning of your rental. For more information on hourly rates, click here.
- 1 hour original rental - $15 for the 2nd hour, $5 for every additional hour
- 2 - 8 hour original rental - $5 for every additional hour
- 1 - 5 Day rental - $10 for every additional hour ($5 per 30 minutes), capped at the next daily rate
Can I take my scooter rental to the USA?
You cannot drive your scooter to the USA. All rented scooters are to remain in the Greater Montreal Area. A long term rental may be taken anywhere within Quebec.
How far can my scooter rental go on a tank of gas?
The scooter can go approximately 180km on a full tank of gas. However, it is strongly recommended that you consider refuelling when you have less than a 1/4 tank.
What kind of Driver’s License do I need to rent a scooter?
To rent a scooter you only need a regular driver's license or a probationary license (Class 5). If you are from outside Quebec we require you to have a Valid Driver’s License that allows you to be able to drive a vehicle without supervision. For more information on licensing please go to http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/classes/class_5.php.
If I have never driven a scooter before, can I still rent one?
Yes. Scooters are easy to operate when approached from a conscientious and safe manner. Our staff will show you all you need to know and make sure you are comfortable before you hit the road. A general rule of thumb is if you can ride a bicycle, you can ride a scooter. Please keep in mind that although scooters are easy to operate, extra care and precaution must be taken because the speeds involved are much higher than with a bicycle. Furthermore, because the scooter is 2 wheeled and requires that the operator maintain balance, it is easier to damage than a 4-wheeled automobile.
Can I use my own helmet?
Yes, you can use your own helmet, provided it is DOT or ECE certified.
Why do you charge a helmet rental fee when other companies include it in the scooter rental price?
We separate the scooter rental from the helmet rental price for 2 reasons. The first reason is that our helmets are modern, freshly cleaned, and highly protective DOT and ECE certified helmets that offer a unique combination of style and protection that you won't find anywhere else. The cost of these helmets, if you were to buy them separately, range in price from $300 - $500. Rental companies that include the cost of the helmet rental into the scooter rental typically provide a cheap, beat up, not so hygienic helmet that provides minimal protection in the event of a crash. After each rental, our helmets are thoroughly cleaned, sprayed, and blow dried before being rented again. Once you try our helmets, we are confident you will agree they are worth every penny of the modest rental price. The second reason is because a small but statistically significant number of renters prefer to bring their own helmets and it is unfair to charge them for a helmet rental built into the price of a scooter rental if they will not be using our helmets. At MS, you only pay for what you need.
How old do I have to be in order to rent a scooter?
All renters must be at least 18 years old. If you are aged 16-17, you can rent a scooter with an accompanying adult or by putting up a total loss deposit of $2500 for the Honda Metropolitan, $3500 for the Vespa LX 50, $3500 for the Vespa LX 150, $3500 for the Vespa GT 200L, and $3500 for the Vespa GTS 250.
Where can I park my car while renting a scooter?
If you live in the city, we recommend that you take Public Transit (Metro, Bus, Bixi) or walk to our office. The closest metro station is Square Victoria.
If it is more convenient for you to take a car, there is street parking along all the surrounding streets at $3/hr with recharge available via mobile phone. If you desire the convenience of a flat rate parking spot, we offer valet parking for $10 for a 1-4 hour rental, $15 for a 5 - 8 hour rental, and $20 for up to 24 hours. Call us for details before leaving for our office.
Do you offer 2 person scooters?
Yes, for experienced riders, 2 people can ride on our Honda Metropolitan. The price is $5/day more, which covers the extra wear and tear when 2 people are on a scooter. All Vespa LX 50, Primavera 50, LX 150, GT 200L, and GTS 250 can accommodate 2 passengers and are also $5/day more when a passenger is added.
Will you deliver scooters to my hotel?
Yes. We deliver to any hotel in the Greater Montreal area near a Metro station. This service is subject to availability and an additional fee of $30/hr of travel time in both directions, rounded to the nearest 5 minutes.
Do you offer after hours drop off?
Yes, we do. It involves parking the scooter in a designated safe area and locking the keys inside the scooter. Please contact us to make arrangements.
If I return my scooter before the Return Time, can I get a refund for the unused time?
Once the operation of the scooter has been demonstrated, if the renter does not feel comfortable riding the scooter, the renter may ask for a refund. A minimum $10 charge will apply - $5 to clean the helmet and $5 to cover the cost of the demonstration. Once the renter has left the designated departure/return area, a minimum 1 hour rental will be charged. For 2H rentals or longer, if the scooter is returned early, the Renter shall be refunded for the unused time.
What happens if it begins to rain during my rental?
Each scooter is equipped with an emergency disposable rain poncho under the seat. You may use this and dispose of it free of charge. If the rain is only a light drizzle, scooting can still be perfectly enjoyable. In light rain, scooting for short periods will generally not have an adverse affect on your enjoyment. In moderate to heavy rain, scooting quickly becomes not fun. If this is the case, you have 1 of 2 options:
- Quickly make your way back to the Montreal Scooter designated return area. You will receive a prorated refund of any unused time of your rental. For example, if you reserved a 4 hour rental and it begins to rain after 1 hour, you will receive a refund of $30, the difference between a 1 hour ($30) and 4 hour rental ($60). You will have up to 30 minutes to make it back to the return area free of charge after it begins raining.
- Find shelter and park the scooters, or park the scooters in the rain and find shelter for yourself! Call Montreal Scooter and let us know you would like to get a free extension of your rental. Your rental will be extended by the duration of the rain. So for example, if it rains for 1 hour, you will get a 1 hour extension to your rental free of charge. You are of course still free to ride in the rain if you are a certified Montreal Scooter Rain Master. The maximum extension shall be 7 hours, so effectively, a renter could knowingly take a scooter for a 1 hour rental on a rainy day and keep it for 8 hours!
No weather compensation is offered on rentals lasting more than 1 Day because the rental is already discounted and takes into consideration possible fluctuations in the weather.
Here at Montreal Scooter, we got you covered, rain or shine!
Do you rent motorcycles?
No, we do not rent motorcycles.